Top 10 to do list after Attending the Novena and Mass at the Shrine
10 Tips to a Trouble-Free Shopping at Baclaran
After the novena, Baclaran is most famous for cheap and affordable goods. Everything is very affordable from shoes, t-shirts, DVD’s, cell phone accessories, charger, etc. A lot of dresses, pants, shorts, cardigans, beddings, curtains, flowers and any other stuffs that you might need is here. Even trendy clothes which you can’t find in SM Malls or any other Malls, you can find in Baclaran. Many fruits like apples, oranges, bananas can also be found here.
If you are on a budget, Baclaran is the place to go. But shopping is not all that smooth sailing in Baclaran. So here’s 10 tips to a Trouble-Free Shopping at Baclaran.
- Tip #1: Drop by the Shrine to pray. Before shopping, first of all, attend the novena and mass or pray. Ask for guidance and protection from God through the prayers of Our Mother of Perpetual Help. After all, all the stores and vendors selling cheap goods in Baclaran wouldn’t be there if not for Our Mother of Perpetual Help.
- Tip #2: Do not wear any jewelleries, expensive sunglasses and eye-catching attire or accessories. These only attract the bad elements and you will not get any good bargains. So don’t overdress, dress casually.
- Tip #3: Make sure all your money, cell phone and any other valuable items are secured. Hold onto your handbag.
- Tip #4: Take a few hours to just soak in the hustle and bustle. Be sure to ask price around first, if you want the lowest price for the same item, before deciding where to buy. Yes, you can make good buys on clothes if you know how to haggle.
- Tip #5: Bring some face towel because you will get very sweaty brushing shoulders with the crowd and also as a protection from the smoke from vehicles.
- Tip #6: On any day, the best time to go around and buy is around 7:00 AM to 9:00 AM. The sun is not yet scorching, the streets are not yet so crowded. If you can tolerate the heat, shop anytime from 9 AM to 5 PM.
- Tip #7: If you are a tourist, blend in as a local. If you can’t help it and you stand out like a tourist in the crowd ask a local to accompany you.
- Tip #8: If you get robbed don’t try to chase them. There are too many small alleys and places to run after they snatch. Besides, they’re all one big family there. You’ll just end up hurt. Go to the nearest police station, instead.
- Tip #9: In case it rains or it’s too sunny and you forgot to bring umbrellas, cheap umbrellas are available everywhere.
- Tip #10: If you get hungry after all the shopping, go to the Sinirangan Coffee Shop at the ground floor of the Carillon Bell Tower of the shrine. You’ll enjoy a nice hot or cold coffee and pastries as well as helping the poor farmers from Eastern Samar.